The Basset Hound Club of Northern Ireland
Rules and Regulations
1. Name and Objects: The club shall be called “The Basset Hound Club of Northern Ireland” and its objects shall be:
a) To encourage the ownership, breeding, exhibition and working of Basset Hounds.
b) To promote and support classes for basset Hounds at shows and to hold field trials.
c) To facilitate the co-operation of Members in all their activities with basset Hounds.
d) To further the interest of basset hounds in every possible way.
2. Members: The Club shall consist of an unlimited number of Members who shall be persons interested in the ownership, breeding exhibiting or working of Basset Hounds. Each member will be entitled to one vote, honorary life members have full voting rights and junior members are accepted but have no voting rights.
3. Election: All members shall be proposed by a member and seconded by a member. Both proposer and seconder must be fully paid up members.
4. Subscription: The Annual subscriptions shall be single £5, joint (two members, same household) £9 and Junior (under 16) £3 payable on 1st January in each year. No member whose subscription for any year is unpaid by 25th March of such year shall be entitled to any privileges of membership and if any member fails to pay a subscription by 25th March the committee may cancel the membership but may at its discretion and upon receipt of all arrears subsequently re-elect such member.
5. Committee: The affairs of the Club shall be managed by a committee consisting of the officers of the Club, (viz, a Chairman, Hon Treasurer and Hon Secretary) together with at least four other members. Meetings of the Committee shall be held as often as may be deemed necessary and five shall form a quorum for the transaction of business.
6. Election of Officers: The chairman, Hon. Treasurer, Hon. Secretary and the committee shall be elected annually at the Annual general meeting. Members of the Club only become eligible to hold office. the offices of Hon treasurer and Hon Secretary shall not be held by the same person. The retiring officers and committee shall be eligible for re-election without nomination. A president may be elected as the members wish.
7. Powers of Committee: Without prejudice to the general power of the committee to manage club affairs:
a. the sub committee may elect such of its members as it from time to time think fit to constitute a sub- committee or sub committees to exercise such of the powers of the committee as the committee may decide
b. The Committee may elect persons or fill vacancies on the committee and may co –opt any person or persons to the committee or any sub- committee but any person elected to to fill a vacancy shall hold office only until the next Annual general meeting.
c. The property of the Club shall be vested in the Committee.
d. The committee shall decide upon the value and nature of prizes to be offered at Shows and trials and may (subject always to the rules and regulations of the Kennel Club) make regulations for the conduct of shows and trials.
e. The committee may deal with any matter not specifically provided forby these rules.
8. Cessation of membership.: ‘ Any member who shall be suspended under the Kennel Club Rule A42j(4) and/or any member whose dog/s is/are disqualified under the kennel Club Rule 42j(8) shall ipso facto cease to be a member of the Society for the duration of the suspension and/or disqualification. If the conduct of any member shall, in the opinion of the committee of this society, be injurious or likely to be injurious to the character or interests the society, the committee of the society may, at a meeting the notice convening which includes as an object the consideration of the conduct of the member, determine that a special general Meeting of the society shall be called for the purpose of passing a resolution to expel him or her. Notice of the special general meeting shall be sent to the accused member, giving particulars of the complaint and advising the place, date and hour of the meeting that he/she may attend and offer an explanation. If at the meeting a resolution to expel is passed by a two thirds majority of the members present there and voting, his/her name shall forthwith be erased from the list of members and he/she shall thereupon cease for all purpose to be a member of the society, except that he/she may within two calendar months from the date of such meeting appeal to the kennel club upon and subject to such conditions as the kennel club may impose’
9. General Business and Meeting
a. The financial year of the Club shall be from 1 January to 31 December.
b. The Annual General Meeting shall be held during the first six months of each financial year at any place as the committee may decide for the following purposes.
1) To receive the report of the committee and balance sheet and accounts for the preceding financial year.
2) To discuss any proposed resolution or matters duly placed on the agenda of which seven days prior notice has been given to the Hon. Secretary.
c. A Special General meeting shall be called by the Hon. Secretary upon the receipt of a requisition signed by at least ten members and setting out the purpose of the meeting but no business other than matters set out in such requisition shall be discussed at a Special general Meeting.
d. members shall receive fourteen days notice of every general meeting .
e. Voting at a general meeting shall be by a show of hands or if any member shall so require , by ballot to be taken at the meeting.
10. Bank Account An account shall be opened in the name of the club at such bank as the committee may decide and such account shall be operated only by the signatures of any two of the following viz: The Chairperson, Hon. Treasurer and Hon. Secretary.
11.Club Account : Proper accounts and records shall be kept by the Hon Treasurer and the account for each year shall be audited before the next Annual General meeting by the Auditors who shall be appointed at the preceding Annual General Meeting.
12. Notices may be served on any member either personally or by sending same prepaid post addressed or by email or text at his/her registered postal or email address and shall be deemed to have been received in the ordinary course of post /email. Members will advise the Secretary the way in which they wish to receive notices ie by registered post or via email.
13. Winding Up If the club shall for any cause cease to exist; all cups, trophies and other property of the club shall be disposed of as the Members in General Meeting may decide.
14. Kennel Club Authority the Kennel Club is the finial authority for interpreting the rules and Regulations of the Club and in all cases relative to canine or Club matters.
15. Federation of Club The Club shall not join a Federation of any other Club or Societies.
16. List of Members and their Addresses the Club will make a list of members and their addresses available for inspection if so requested by the members of the Club or by the Kennel Club.
17. Maintenance of Title fee and Annual Returns “The Officers acknowledge that during the month of January each year Maintenance of the title fee will be forwarded to the Kennel Club by the secretary for the continuance of registration and that by 31st July each year ,other returns ,as stipulated in Kennel Club regulations for the registration and Maintenance of Title of Societies and Breed Councils and the Affiliation of Agricultural Societies and Municipal Authorities will be forwarded to the Kennel Club. The officers also acknowledge their duty to inform the Kennel Club of any change of Secretary of the Club which may occur during the course of the year.”
18. Alteration of Rules the rules of the Club may not be altered except at an annual or special General Meeting and any such alternation shall not be effected unless and until the Kennel Club has been advised and given its approval of them.
19. No person whilst an undercharged and bankrupt may serve on the Committee of or hold any office or appointment within the Kennel Club Registered Society.”