All members of the Basset Hound Club of Northern Ireland agree to abide by the Club’s Code of Ethics.
BHCNI members :
1. Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2. Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on their dogs which alters the natural confirmation of the animal, or who carries out a caesarean section on a bitch, may report such operations to the kennel Club.
3. Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the breed standard should be placed in a suitable home.
4. Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5. Will not create a demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6. Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be harmful to the dog or to the breed.
7. Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
8. Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
9. Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10. Will only sell dogs where there is reasonable expectation of a happy and health life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11. Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in new homes.
12. Will ensure that all relevant kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
13. Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club Registration certificates as stand alone items(not accompanying a dog)
14. Will not knowingly characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
15. Members will, when breeding dogs, adopt as a minimum standard the principles, requirements and recommendations as embodied in the kennel Club Assured breeder. It is strongly recommended that their members who breed should apply to join the Scheme.
16. Members will ensure that all puppies bred by them will be microchipped before selling to new owner and all necessary documents regarding microchipping will be provided.
17 .Members when breeding dogs will use all health scheme tests currently required or recommended by the KC on all breeding stock.